The University of Arkansas boasts a tradition unique among the nation's universities: Senior Walk, consisting of more than three miles of sidewalks crisscrossing campus that are engraved with the names of more than 175,000 graduates, dating back nearly 140 years. It’s concrete proof of the university’s commitment to our students.
The north tower of Old Main shines like a beacon from the hilltop campus in Fayetteville. The University of Arkansas, the flagship campus of the University of Arkansas System, was founded in 1871 on Ozark Mountain land described as "second to none in the state of Arkansas," looking out toward the historic Fayetteville square and the wooded hills north and south of town. The university is both the major land-grant university in Arkansas and the state university. It came into being as a result of the Morrill Land-Grant College Act of 1862. Federal land sales provided funds to establish new colleges devoted to agriculture and the mechanic arts, scientific and classical studies, and military tactics for the "liberal and practical education of the industrial classes." Today, the University of Arkansas continues emerging as a nationally competitive, student-centered research university serving Arkansas and the world.
阿肯色大学的小尖山校区位于费耶特维尔的Old Main 。Old Main 是北部的一个城镇，犹如灯塔一般在这里闪耀。阿肯色大学是阿肯色大学系统的旗舰大学，它成立于1871年，地点在欧扎克山。欧扎克山是“阿肯色州无与伦比的地方”。它俯瞰费耶特维尔历史广场，朝向小镇南北长满树木的群山。阿肯色大学既是阿肯色州主要的赠地大学，也是州立大学。它的诞生是1862年“莫里尔赠地学院法”的产物。该法案同意出售联邦土地，以建立专事于农业、机械艺术、科学、古典研究和军事战术的学院。这些学院旨在为工人阶层提供开明而实用的教育。今天，阿肯色大学已成为具有国内竞争力的以学生为中心的研究型大学，它将继续为阿肯色州和世界服务。
faculty staff and students
|Number of academic faculty staff||Number of students||Number of international students|
|In total||1249||In total||24545||In total||1354|
The 1871 establishment of the first public university in Arkansas — a state still ravaged and rankled by four years of civil war — might seem to us today to be an act more foolhardy than full of hope.
The founding of the university, however, was one of the few achievements during the state's Reconstruction era that brought former political and military rivals together.
Over the course of its history, the university has continued to bring the citizens of the state together by raising educational standards, improving business and economy, and giving Arkansans a hardy mascot around which to rally.
The state legislature approved establishment of a land-grant university, to be known as the Arkansas Industrial University, on March 27, 1871. The federal Morrill Land Grant Act granted lands to Arkansas that could be sold, the revenues from which could then be used to pay for creation of the university.
The Board of Trustees set about determining a location, asking for cities and counties in the state to put forward bids for the university. Only two bids could be called serious, one by the town of Batesville and a second from Washington County, which offered $100,000 in bonds, and Fayetteville, which offered an additional $30,000 and 400 acres of land. This latter bid proved successful, and the board visited Washington County to determine a location, choosing the hilltop farm of William McIlroy as second to none.
The board purchased 160 acres from McIlroy and approved erection of a temporary frame building in which to hold classes while a permanent building could be planned. Classes began on January 22, 1872, with seven boys and one girl in attendance.
Over the course of the spring and summer, more and more students found their way to Fayetteville. Most of them lacked the preparatory coursework needed to pursue higher education, so the university provided both preparatory coursework and curriculum for a college degree.
More than 100 students attended the university that first year. Only three faculty taught initially, and Noah Putnam Gates served as the first president of the university.
理事委员会征求了阿肯色州各地的意见，让各地提出报价。结果，只有两个地方严肃报出了价格。一个是贝茨维尔，另一个是华盛顿县的费耶特维尔。前者报价10万美元，后者报价30万美元，并捐地四百英亩土地。结果，后一个报价获得了成功。理事委员会随后到华盛顿县视察，并选择了 William McIlroy的尖山农场作为选址 。
BUILDING OF OLD MAIN
The Board of Trustees appointed a building committee to make plans for construction of a permanent building, a building that would, in essence, be the university.
After a visit to the University of Illinois to see its new main building, the committee sought out its architect, John Van Osdel, the premier architect of Chicago, to purchase plans for the same building at Arkansas. Van Osdel said his original plans had been destroyed in the great Chicago fire but that he would produce new drawings for $1,000.
Soon, a contract was let and construction begun on the building. Its design is known as Second Empire, with some Italianate touches. The most obvious design elements are the five blocks of the front — the middle entrance, two recessed walls and the two towers — and its mansard roof.
Nearly all of the construction materials came from Arkansas: the sandstone foundation, the bricks fired on the grounds, the limestone window sills and lintels, and wood milled from Ozark forests.
It was finished in 1875 and dedicated on a warm August evening with an all-day picnic spread upon the workbenches in the shadow of the south tower. As the day's light faded, lanterns and bricks soaked in oil were lit and fireworks fired.
It was and remains a building of aspiration, the largest in the state when completed with two towers reaching skyward. Today, those same towers serve as beacons to travelers from all entrances to Fayetteville and the building has become a symbol of higher education in Arkansas.