Indian Institute of Technology Delhi is one of the seven Institutes of Technology created as centres of excellence for higher training, research and development in science, engineering and technology in India, the others being at Kanpur, Kharagpur, Madras, Bombay, Guwahati and Roorkee. Established as College of Engineering in 1961, the Institute was later declared an Institution of National Importance under the \"Institutes of Technology (Amendment) Act, 1963\" and was renamed \"Indian Institute of Technology Delhi\". It was then accorded the status of a deemed university with powers to decide its own academic policy, to conduct its own examinations.
Faculty staff and students
|Number of academic faculty staff||Number of students||Number of international students|
|In total||466||In total||7477||In total||80|
The concept of the IITs was first introduced in a report in the year 1945 by Sh. N.M.Sircar, then member of Education on Vicerory’s Executive Council. Following his recommendations, the first Indian Institute of Technology was established in the year 1950 in Kharagpur. In his report, Shri Sircar had suggested that such Institutes should also be started in different parts of the country. The Government having accepted these recommendations of the Sircar Committee decided to establish more Institutes of Technology with the assistance of friendly countries who were prepared to help. The first offer of help came from USSR who agreed to collaborate in the establishment of an Institute through UNESCO at Bombay. This was followed by the Institutes of Technology at Madras, Kanpur and Delhi with collaborations with West Germany, USA and UK respectively. Indian Institute of Technology, Guwahati was established in 1995 and the University of Roorkee was converted into an IIT in 2001.
The Government of India negotiated with the British Government for collaboration in setting up an Institute of Technology at Delhi. The British Government agreed in principle to such a collaboration, but were inclined initially to start in a modest way. It was therefore agreed that a College of Engineering & Technology should be established at Delhi with their assistance. A trust called the Delhi Engineering College Trust was established with the help of the UK Government and the Federation of British Industries in London. Later H.R.H. Prince Philips, Duke of Edinburgh, during his visit to India, laid the foundation stone of the College at Hauz Khas on January 28,1959.
The College of Engineering & Technology was registered as a Society on 14th June 1960 under the Societies Registration Act No. XXI of 1860 (Registration No.S1663 of 1960-61). The first admissions were made in 1961. The students were asked to report at the College on 16th August 1961 and the College was formally inaugurated on 17th of August 1961 by Prof. Humayun Kabir, Minister of Scientific Research & Cultural Affairs. The College was affiliated to the University of Delhi.
印度理工学院的概况最早出现于1945年 Sh. N.M.Sircar的一份报告中。 Sh. N.M.Sircar时为 Vicerory教育执行委员会成员。在他的建议下，印度第一个理工学院于1950年在克勒格布尔成立。在报告中，Sh. N.M.Sircar提议在印度不同地方建立类似的理工学院。在接受Sh. N.M.Sircar及委员会建议后，印度政府决定建立更多理工学院。在这个过程中，印度得到了一些友好国家的帮助。第一个提供帮助的国家是苏维埃社会主义共和国联盟，它同意通过其在孟买的联合国教科文组织成立理工学院。在孟买理工学院成立之后，印度先后在马德拉斯、坎普尔和德里成立了理工学院。这三个地方的理工学院分别得到了来自西德、美国和英国的帮助。印度理工学院古瓦哈提分校成立于1995年。2001年，鲁基大学也成立理工学院。
在协会登记法案下，工程与技术学院于1906年7月14日注册为协会。招生从1961年开始，最早的报道日期是在1961年8月16日。工程与技术学院于1961年8月17日正式举行开学典礼。典礼由科研与文化事务部部长 Humayun Kabir教授组织。工程与技术学院由此附属于德里大学。