The University of South Carolina is home to more than 200 years of history and tradition, rising from a single building in 1805 on what would become the heart of the campus, the Horseshoe. The 11 buildings that now make up the Horseshoe frame a lush lawn that is an irresistible gathering place. The University is expanding west toward the Congaree River in support of its research initiatives in nanotechnology, health sciences, future fuels, and the environment. Three separate sites, each specializing in its own research area, will comprise this new innovation district, called Innovista. It will initially cover 500,000 square feet spread over about six city blocks but is projected to grow to five million square feet, mixing University and private research buildings, parking garages, and commercial and residential units around a public plaza, Foundation Square. By creating space for residences, retail, restaurants, and recreation that will complement the research, Innovista will be a place to live, learn, and work. Joining the flagship campus in Columbia, are its senior campuses in Aiken, Beaufort, and Upstate (Spartanburg-Greenville). Four regional campuses-Lancaster, Sumter, Salkehatchie (Allendale and Walterboro), and Union-help USC cover the state.
We’re one of only 32 public universities to earn the Carnegie Foundation’s top-tier designations in research activity and community engagement. According to national publications like Kiplinger’s Inc. and U.S. News and World Report, our programs stack up against the best in the nation and around the world.
南卡罗莱纳大学迄今已有二百多年的历史。1805年成立的时候，只有一栋教学楼。地点在校园中心的 Horseshoe。今天， Horseshoe已有12栋建筑，它们围绕一片葱郁的草坪展开。这片草坪是人们的聚会的理想场所。目前，为了支持纳米技术、健康科学、未来燃料和环境等方面研究，南卡罗来纳大学正在向西扩建，将更加靠近康加里河。这个新区叫Innovista，有三个独立的教研场所。Innovista最初预计占地50万平方英尺，延伸六个城市街区，但是现在有了改变，计划占地500万平方英尺。建成之后，Innovista将涵盖南卡罗来纳大学和一些私人科研建筑，汽车停车场、商业单元、居民单元和一个基础广场(Foundation Square)。Innovista将提供居住、购物、饮食和休闲空间，丰富科研，成为生活、学习和工作的场所。除了位于哥伦比亚的旗舰校区，南卡罗莱纳大学在艾肯、蒲福和本州北部的Spartanburg-Greenville也有校区。兰卡斯特、萨姆特、索克亥奇和Union四个地方校区让南卡罗莱纳大学遍及了本州。
Faculty staff and students
|Number of academic faculty staff||Number of students||Number of international students|
|In total||2196||In total||31213||In total||1625|
Founded in 1801, then-South Carolina College flourished pre-Civil War, overcame postwar struggles, was rechartered in 1906 as a university and transformed itself as a national institution in the 20th and 21st centuries.
South Carolina College, est. 1801
The Palmetto State established South Carolina College — the precursor to the University of South Carolina — on Dec. 19, 1801, as part of an effort to unite South Carolinians in the wake of the American Revolution. South Carolina's leaders saw the new college as a way to promote "the good order and harmony" of the state.
The founding of South Carolina College was also a part of the Southern public college movement spurred by Thomas Jefferson. Within 20 years of one another, Georgia, North Carolina, South Carolina, and Virginia established state-supported colleges.
In the antebellum era, the Palmetto State generously supported South Carolina College. The institution featured a cosmopolitan faculty, including such noted European scholars as Francis Lieber and Thomas Cooper, as well as renowned American scholars John and Joseph LeConte. Offering a traditional classical curriculum, South Carolina College became one of the most influential colleges in the South before 1861, earning a reputation as the training ground for South Carolina's antebellum elite.
The Horseshoe campus
The campus grew around the modified quadrangle of the Horseshoe. In 1805, four years after the college was chartered, its first building, Rutledge, was completed. Classes began that year with two faculty members and nine students.
As the only academic facility, Rutledge served as classroom, lab, library, chapel, and student and faculty housing until DeSaussure was completed on the north side of the Horseshoe in 1809. Throughout the next 38 years, the Horseshoe took shape with eight more buildings. (The Horseshoe's 11th building, and the only one not built in the 19th century, is McKissick, completed in 1940.)
From the architectural design and influence of Robert Mills, the nation's first federal architect and the designer of the Washington Monument, to the South Caroliniana Library as the first freestanding college library building in the nation, every brick and inscription on the original Horseshoe campus reveals a small chapter of our eventful history.
在1809年Horseshoe北面的Rutledge建成之前，Rutledge是学校仅有的建筑，因此它同时充当了教学、实验室、礼拜堂和师生宿舍。往后的38年里， Horseshoe 增加了八栋建筑。 Horseshoe 的第11栋，也是唯一不是在19世纪建成的建筑是McKissick。McKissick建成于1940年。
从 Robert Mills——美国的第一位联邦建筑师、华盛顿纪念碑的设计者——的建筑设计和影响，到美国第一个自由独立学院图书馆南卡罗莱纳图书馆，Horseshoe校区的一砖一瓦都反映了南卡罗莱纳大学的一个篇章。
Civil War, Reconstruction
Having survived an 1811 earthquake that damaged DeSaussure, then known as North Building, and an 1855 fire that gutted Rutledge, the college finally succumbed to the upheaval of the Civil War and Reconstruction.
South Carolina's secession from the Union unleashed the devastation of war. The state and South Carolina College paid dearly. The institution closed in 1861 for want of students, and in the ensuing decades it struggled to regain the leading role in the region it had held during the antebellum era.
1811年， DeSaussure(当时叫 North Building)遭遇地震。1855年，Rutledge遭遇大火。地震和大火都没有将学院拖垮。但是内战的动乱让学校完成垮了。
A diverse, if short-lived, university
State leaders revived the institution in 1866 as the University of South Carolina with ambitious plans for a diverse university that included the first African-Americans to serve on the board of trustees (1868) and the first African-American students (1873).
While politically controversial, this development was an extraordinary opportunity for South Carolinians at a time when opportunities for higher education were rare. The University of South Carolina became the only Southern state university to admit and grant degrees to African-American students during the Reconstruction era.
But with a nearly empty state treasury, the institution failed to reach its former status. Following the end of Reconstruction in 1877, South Carolina's conservative leaders closed the university. They reopened it in 1880 as an all-white agricultural college and during the next 25 years the institution became enmeshed in the upheaval of late 19th century South Carolina politics.
Stability, postwar boom
Carolina went through several reorganizations in which the curriculum frequently changed and its status shifted from college to university and back again. In 1906, the institution was rechartered for the final time as the University of South Carolina. In the early decades of the 20th century, Carolina made strides toward becoming a comprehensive university, and in 1917 it became the first state-supported college or university in South Carolina to earn regional accreditation.
The 1920s witnessed further progress and growth with the introduction of new colleges and degree programs, including the doctorate. The Great Depression temporarily stalled this progress, but the outbreak of World War II launched an era that transformed the university. Carolina hosted U.S. Navy training programs during the war and enrollment more than doubled in the post war era as veterans took advantage of the G.I. Bill.