Drawing on its rich legacy as the oldest chartered university in California, Pacific is a student-focused, comprehensive educational institution that produces outstanding graduates prepared for personal and professional success. Our student body thrives in Pacific's small classes and dynamic cultural environment, while our distinguished alumni are transforming their communities every day.
University of the Pacific is a nationally ranked university with three distinct campuses united under one common goal: to educate and prepare the leaders of tomorrow through intensive academic study, experiential learning, and service to the community. Widely recognized as one of the most beautiful private university campuses in the West, the Stockton Campus offers more than 80 areas of study in nine schools and colleges, including 25 graduate programs and 10 accelerated programs. The university's distinctive Northern California footprint also includes its San Francisco Campus, home to the Arthur A. Dugoni School of Dentistry and graduate programs in health, food and technology fields, and the Sacramento Campus, home to the Pacific McGeorge School of Law and graduate programs in health, education, business, public policy and data science. Undergraduates make up more than half of the total University population, with more than 3,800 undergraduates and more than 1,150 graduate and professional students enrolled for the current academic year. Pacific students benefit from small class sizes with an average class size of 19 and student-faculty ratio of 12:1.
faculty staff and students
|Number of academic faculty staff||Number of students||Number of international students|
|In total||545||In total||5776||In total||364|
University of the Pacific is an independent, coeducational university serving nearly 6,300 students on three campuses in Stockton, San Francisco and Sacramento. It was established by pioneering Methodist ministers in 1851 as California's first chartered institution of higher learning. Pacific has earned widespread recognition for its deep commitment to teaching and learning, its history of innovation, and the accomplishments of its 60,000 alumni.
As an innovator and leader in higher education, Pacific provided the state with its first chartered medical school in 1858 (which later became part of Stanford, and today is California Pacific Medical Center); its first coeducational campus in 1871; and its first conservatory of music in 1878.
It was the nation's first to offer an undergraduate teacher corps program, the first to send an entire class to an overseas campus, the first to establish a Spanish-speaking inter-American college, and the first to offer a four-year graduation guarantee. With its move from San Jose to Stockton in 1924, Pacific became the first private four-year university in the Central Valley. Shortly after occupying the new campus, Pacific established one of California's earliest schools of education. In 1992 it was renamed the Gladys L. Benerd School of Education in honor of the alumna's endowed gift.
Pacific has enjoyed extraordinary stability in administration. Dr. Pamela A. Eibeck began her service in 2009 as the sixth president since the university's move to Stockton in 1924 and the 24th since its founding in 1851.
The university experienced its greatest growth and an expansion into graduate and professional education under the administration of Dr. Robert Burns (1947-1971). The School of Pharmacy opened in 1955. It is now the Thomas J. Long School of Pharmacy and Health Sciences in honor of the Pacific benefactor and Regent who co-founded the former Longs Drugs Stores. In 1956 the graduate school was created, and in 1957 the School of Engineering was established. The Department of Computer Science joined the school in 2002, and the school was subsequently renamed the School of Engineering and Computer Science.
In 1962, the university acquired the College of Physicians and Surgeons, a school of dentistry founded in San Francisco in 1896. In 2004, the school was named the Arthur A. Dugoni School of Dentistry in honor of its dean of 28 years. It was the first time any university in the United States or Canada had named its dental school for the current dean.
在罗伯特-彭斯博士 (1947-1971)领导下，太平洋大学经历了最大的成长，提供了研究生教育和职业教育。1955年，药学院开放。为纪念太平洋大学恩主兼董事托马斯-朗格，该学院目前名为托马斯-朗格药学与健康科学学院。托马斯-朗格是前美国药品连锁店Longs Drugs 的联合创始人之一。1956年，研究生院成立。1957年，工程学院成立。2002年，计算机科学部并入工程学院。随后，工程学院更名为工程与计算机科学学院。
Three new cluster colleges were established at Pacific in the 1960s, in the model of British universities such as Oxford and Cambridge. These colleges integrated faculty and students into distinct living and learning communities. Raymond College, established in 1962, was an accelerated, interdisciplinary liberal arts program in which students shaped their own courses of study. Elbert Covell College, established in 1963, was a unique inter-American college. Half the students were from the U.S. and half from Latin America, with classes taught in Spanish. Callison College, established in 1967, focused on non-Western studies with a year of study in an Asian culture. The cluster colleges were absorbed into the rest of the university in 1982. Their values, including a close-knit learning community, accelerated and interdisciplinary programs, and self-designed majors, have left a lasting impact on Pacific. Their emphasis on global education continued in the School of International Studies, founded in 1987 as the first university-based undergraduate school of international studies in California. In 2012, the School of International Studies, while retaining its autonomy as a school, became part of the College of the Pacific.
In 1966, Pacific broadened its footprint to Sacramento when McGeorge College of Law, an independent law school founded in Sacramento in 1924, merged with the university as the Pacific McGeorge School of Law. In 1977, the department of business administration in College of the Pacific was reorganized as the School of Business and Public Administration. In 1995 it was renamed Eberhardt School of Business in honor of the Eberhardt family's endowed gifts. Programs designed specifically for adult re-entry students were reorganized and revitalized in 1985 through University College, now the Center for Professional and Continuing Education.
Over the last 20 years, Pacific has advanced its legacy of innovation and leadership. Under the leadership of President Donald V. DeRosa (1995-2009), the university invested more than $200 million in facilities renovation and construction projects on all three campuses. Pacific also increased distinctive accelerated programs that enabled students to complete undergraduate studies in combination with professional degrees in pharmacy, law, dentistry and business. The university intensified its commitment to experiential learning, including Pacific undergraduate research, internships, community service and education abroad.